Jonas and his wife Kelli lead the High School ministry at Oak Hill Baptist Church. Jonas is a 2009 graduate of the University of Kentucky (BBA in Marketing and Business Management) and a 2012 graduate of the Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary (MA in Christian Leadership Studies). Jonas and Kelli have one son, Owen Riley. In addition to leading the high school ministry, Jonas enjoys playing music, reading, and watching University of Kentucky basketball and football. If you would like to contact Jonas you can reach him here.
August 16, 1895, under the leadership of Rev. Jacob Mayfield and W. S. Taylor, Oak Hill Baptist Church was organized. Along with 16 other charter members: William Taylor, Daniel Phillip, J.W. New, John Cundiff, Charity New, E.J. New, Lou Cundiff, Ida Chestnut, Noma Eads, Lisa Chestnut, Almer Chestnut, Lara Lorton, Emmie Freeman, Annie Wilson, James W. Eads, and Lou Ellen Eads.
Shortly after, Oak Hill became organized the church's first building program began. With the land being donated by W.O. Newell, March 1896, our first church building, measuring 30 X 50 X 12, was completed February of the following year.
In 1948, the church selected a site for the new building. The church moved into its new facilities, March 5, 1949.
In December, 1961, Oak Hill decided to start a new building fund, for expansion of the building and the installation of rest rooms and a nursery. After a unanimous vote in October, 1978, the church proceeded and completed new additions to the building in January, 1979.
In July, 1982, Oak Hill called Dr. Harold Brown, who is currently still serving, as its pastor. Shortly, thereafter, the church ventured into its largest building program ever. In order to accommodate the growing congregation, the church decided to relocate the church site across the road. The church opted to expand over a three-phase period. With monies secured, phase one began in the spring of 1983. In August, however, the church was dealt a setback when the frame of the new building under construction collapsed leaving only the foundation in-tact. Not to be deterred, the church rebuilt the structure seeing it completed and able for use in March, 1984.
Easter Sunday morning, 1988, phase two of the building program, the church's new auditorium was completed. It is still being used as our present sanctuary. In 1994, due to the growth and faithful giving of her members, the church was able to declare itself debt-free.
However, in May, 1994, Oak Hill broke ground on construction of phase three. The expansion would include a 3-story educational wing and a state of the art Family Life Center. In May, 1995, phase three of the building was completed.
Our visitor section is currently under construction. Please check back again.
To aid in the rebuilding of lives and homes that were destroyed in West Liberty, Kentucky, we are pulling together as a community. By coordinating our efforts, we can assist those who have lost everything.
There will be a truck in Walmart’s* parking lot until Thursday to collect any and all
donations. Please consider making a donation and help those in West Liberty, Kentucky.